Monday 11 February 2008

Life on the M6

Last week's tiredness was due to a weekend in Liverpool. Sentimental old fool that I am, I decided to skip the M6 toll motorway as I hadn't seen Brum in donkey's years... My wish was fulfilled (and then some!) as I sat in Friday afternoon traffic all through the West Midlands, Staffordshire and Cheshire. I only wanted to see Castle Bromwich , Spaghetti Junction and the City skyline! I could see the scaffolding around the school in Castle Brom (Birmingham) where I used to teach from the contraflow I was stuck in. Just as I could see the Fort Dunlop factory and Spaghetti Junction. The memories came flooding back at a substantially faster rate than the flow of the traffic. Pity I don't have such fond memories of Wednesbury, Walsall, Stafford, Keele, Nantwich and the Thelwall Viaduct otherwise I could have reminisced for hours to take my mind off the queueing traffic.

To cap it all, I took a wrong turn as I arrived in Liverpool and the whole journey (150 miles from N'pton) took about 5 hours! (Coming back took just over two and a half hours using the skills I'd acquired on the Autobahn in Germany) . I was visitng a mate from Hamburg whose company have transferred him to Liverpool for a year so he was keen to go out and party. We got home at around 5am on Saturday morning and about 2 on Sunday morning. Actually, I'm glad we went mad on the Friday evening because I had all of Saturday to recover. Couldn't have driven back with a hangover measuring that high on the Richter scale.


No comments: